Prevention & Resources
Understanding & Ending Stigma
Rejection, bullying and discrimination. These are just some of the things people with mental health conditions face every day. That makes getting treatment and starting the recovery journey more difficult. In short, it creates stigma that can stand in the way of progress.
Moving beyond the stigma against mental health and addiction is going to take an investment of time and outreach to educate everyone about the effects that words and actions have on people living with these concerns. We've gathered a list of resources to tap for more information. Help us share them, and let's move beyond and end the stigma.
- Stigma as a barrier to mental health (video)
- Three ways to fight the stigma of mental illness
- Stigma or discrimination: Language matters (MHA)
- Words matter: Terms to use and avoid when talking about addiction
- The key to breaking mental health stigma: Online education (MHA)